Packing your hand luggage
Your hand luggage is your safety net to the not that uncommon happenstance of the airline using your luggage (I remember one time arriving on Christmas and having to tell my godson that Santa lost his way in the fog in England which is why the presents take longer). The things I put in my hand luggage are the essentials for travelling:
- A spare T-shirt and underwear
- Electricity converters (BA sells wonderful Swiss-made all in one converters that are also USB connectors – so instead of carrying chargers for your mobile gadgets all you need is USB to whatever cables)
- Basic hygienic items (brush, toothbrush, very wee tooth paste, deodorant, nail clipper, condoms – for the off-chance)
- Passport and printouts of your destination address and your trips (granted, the latter items can be on your smartphone but how shot are you when you arrive and your battery is flat)
- Paper handkerchiefs
- Basic medication pack (acid reflux inhibitors, diarrhoea medication, cold medicine, pain killers if you believe in them – I never took them nilly-willy)
- A personal entertainment device (this could be your phone – I have an extra iPod that I also use in the gym) with good, *noise cancelling headphones* and adapters for different outlets of the aircraft entertainment system. This is very important to make it an enjoyable flight – especially the noise cancellation is a big plus.
With this you are prepared for most of the things Murphy’s Law will come up with. Make sure you keep the supply steady.
Dressing for the airport travel
Your travel between your humble abode and the airport might be arduous and long and the travel through the airport is even spiked with more obstacles. Therefore dress the occcasion:
- Layers – T-shirt, zip-up jumper and jacket – this is also important so that you can transfer the contents of your pockets into other pockets at security
- Light shoes that can be easily taken off
- Trousers that don’t need a belt to fit – even after a long flight as you don’t want slippage when you arrive (the aforementioned cargos work great).